So Many Reasons to Teach Your Son or Daughter to Fish This Summer
Don’t just entertain your kids with your fish stories. Take them out on the water with you. Whether you’re headed out into the deep blue sea or spending the day on the lake, fishing is a great activity for you and your child to do together. A day of casting out a line allows families to spend time together in the great outdoors and create lasting memories.
Reeling in a big one for dinner is just an added bonus.
Reasons to take your child fishing:
- Use a fishing trip to encourage responsibility in a fun environment.
- Teach water safety habits such as wearing life jackets and having the proper first aid items.
- Children can learn patience, problem-solving skills and self-confidence as well as develop an appreciation for nature through a family fishing trip.
- Use this as an opportunity to teach your child basic boating terms and techniques. Before you know it, they’ll be telling you whether the fish is on the starboard or port side.
- Create a love for boating and the sport of fishing that you can share for a lifetime.
How to get started fishing with your child:
- Lightweight rods and reels are best for kids. You may¬†be tempted to purchase one of those kiddie rods with cartoon characters on it, but you may find they’re lower in quality and possibly more trouble than they’re worth.
- Use a light line and small hooks. A six-pound test line or less works best. Hooks smaller than size 10 are easier to snag a fish than a bigger hook.
- The same goes for bobbers. A light bobber is easier for the fish to pull under than a heavy one. You will more easily notice the movement of the light bobber as the fish tugs on it.
- Bait should be about the size of the hook. There is no need for giant monster-sized worms.
- Assign each child some of their own responsibilities such as winding up lines, handing out life jackets or being in charge of bait.
- Plan other activities to keep them interested. You can combine a fishing excursion with snorkeling, swimming, tubing or nature watching.
- Don’t forget the snacks. Pack a picnic and explore hidden coves and fingers of the lake.
Now¬†you’re ready¬†and rumor has it¬†the fish are biting today!